I already wrote about my favorite female character, and one of the reasons why she is my favorite is because I can relate to her. So this post is going to a bit repetitive, but I’ll keep it short and sweet. The character that I can relate to the most is Lena Kaligaris from The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants.
Here is a list of reasons why I can relate to her:
1. She is Greek, but feels a little disconnected from her heritage. Like me, she doesn’t speak much Greek and has a hard time communicating with her grandparents.
2. She studied art. Lena is an artist at heart, and spends her free time drawing and painting. I also studied art in college, and could relate to her initial discomfort at drawing nude models!
3. She is very shy and modest. She doesn’t like to draw attention to herself, and is the quietest in her group of friends. This is true of me as well.
4. She has a hard time opening up to people. There is a well-known line from the book and movie where she laments the fact that her friend Bridget, who has lost her mother, is still open to love, but she, who has lost nothing, is not. I oftentimes feel the same way. I have a hard time meeting new people and becoming close to them. Perhaps it is because of the shyness and modesty mentioned above, but I do feel I have missed out on some experiences because of it. Luckily for Lena, she doesn’t have too much trouble getting close to Kostos.
5. She cares about her friends more than anything. Even if she doesn’t share much, she is a great listener and is always there when her friends need an ear. She is the calm one in the group, and usually the one to resolve conflicts. I play the same role in my group of friends, although I’m not sure I’m great at the resolving conflicts part.
6. Finally, she has my middle name 🙂